FW: OT Re: FW: OT Re: FW: Dinosaur Calendar Project

I was referring to the original mechanism behind "turning" the
1st Christian Emperor. Constantine I didn't do it on his own.
(or at least I'm not aware). If untrue, it then does seem to
be a persistent myth out there that eventually ensnared me as
well. What, if anything, was the reason for Constantine to take
this particular path?? I had always thought that he did it out
of some sort of self-preservation (notwithstanding the power he
wielded).

> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 22:56:55 -0800
> From: tijawi@yahoo.com
> Subject: OT Re: FW: OT Re: FW: Dinosaur Calendar Project
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> CC: wdm1949@hotmail.com; tijawi@yahoo.com
>
> dale mcinnes wrote:
>

>> I don't disagree with your pronouncement that the Roman Empire was
>> pushing for Christianity but the reasons were quite intriguing. I
>> read that a long term stategy had been developed to wrestle control
>> from the other competetive Pagan groups by replacing them in the
>> Senate, one after the other. A brilliant stategy if true. Surrounding
>> the Emperors one by one by an ever growing circle of Christian
>> Senators.
>

> Hmmm... this sounds like complete tripe. Emperor Constantine I was the first
> Roman emperor to convert to Christianity, and all his successors were
> Christians prior to taking office (with the sole exception of the pagan
> emperor Julian).
>

> Besides, most of the Roman emperors of the 3rd and 4th centuries spent hardly
> any time (if any at all) in the city of Rome, the home of the Senate. They
> were soldiers, and had little interest in the Senate or its politics. These
> emperors spent their reigns either campaigning out in the field, or in
> imperial residences outside of Italy; Constantine himself founded
> Constantinople as his official residence.
>

> In the 5th century, there were western Roman emperors (including puppet
> emperors installed by barbarian chieftains) that preferred not to lead
> armies, and were holed up in the Italian city of Ravenna, at the mouth of the
> Adriatic.
>

> Cheers
>
> Tim

Windows Live: Friends get your Flickr, Yelp, and Digg updates when they e-mail
you.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9691817