From: dale mcinnes
Receiver: tijawi,DML
Time: 2010-01-05, 01:03:17
Subject: RE: OT Re: FW: OT Re: FW: Dinosaur Calendar Project

Tim. I didn't know that about Constantine's mother. That would make a lot
of sense. Its obvious that this competitiveness between some of the Pagans
and the Christians went back much further. Afterall, Christians were never
originally favoured until their "messiah" was seen/converted to a Pagan god.
So I see it as simply Pagans v.s. Pagans. And the Christian "pagans" won out.

It is so important to know how specific origins in various cultures impact
on our present lives. Why we're buried up to our eyeballs in this particular
cultural environment. To understand its dynamics more, so that we are better
able to cope with it. I always thought that the dynamics of Darwinian
competition were always at play here.

These are not frivolous questions.
> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:38:32 -0800
> From: tijawi@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: FW: OT Re: FW: OT Re: FW: Dinosaur Calendar Project
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> CC: wdm1949@hotmail.com; tijawi@yahoo.com
>

> dale mcinnes wrote:
>

>> I was referring to the original mechanism behind "turning" the
>> 1st Christian Emperor. Constantine I didn't do it on his own.
>> (or at least I'm not aware).
>

> Constantine's mother (Helena) was a Christian, so she may have had something
> to do with his later conversion. She was later canonized by the Eastern
> Orthodox Church as St Helena.
>

> Constantine I converted to Christianity in 312 AD after achieving victory at
> the Battle of Milvian Bridge over a rival emperor. According to Christian
> lore, he received a sign from the Christian God before the battle (there are
> different versions on the precise nature of the sign).
>

>> If untrue, it then does seem to be a persistent myth out there that
>> eventually ensnared me as well.
>

> Yes, history is very similar to paleontology in this respect. Certain myths
> persist, and if they are mentioned enough they eventually snowball into
> "facts". Like, "Stegosaurus had an extra brain above its hips" or
> "Tyrannosaurus was principally a scavenger" or "Sauropods spent most of their
> time in water". Sometimes the superficial intuitive attraction of an idea
> overrides the hard data that argue against an idea.
>

>> What, if anything, was the reason for Constantine to
>> take this particular path??
>

> Why not? If we discount the divine inspiration tale (I do), there was the
> influence of his mother. Also, some of Constantine's predecessors were
> experimenting with eastern monotheistic religions. For example, Emperor
> Aurelian (one of the more successful 3rd century emperors) adopted a form of
> sun-worship practiced in the East. As you noted, the date of their holiest
> day was co-opted by the Christians as Christmas Day.
>

>> I had always thought that he did it out
>> of some sort of self-preservation (notwithstanding the
>> power he wielded).
>

> Self-preservation? Unless he was protecting himself against the wrath of God,
> this is unlikely. Constantine I succeeded because he ruthlessly eliminated
> all his rivals, either by execution or civil war. He even had his wife and
> eldest son executed. Religion had nothing to do with Constantine's
> self-preservation.
>

> Cheers
>
> Tim

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you?e up to on
Facebook.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9691816