From: Danvarner@aol.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Google books
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 17:17:40 EST

Mike Everhart has asked me to  pass this message on to the DML. DV

All,

Many of you may know  about this already, but I thought I would share
something about Google Books  that is new to me....

Clicking on this URL will get you to the Google  Books site....

http://books.google.com/books

Lots of books... and  a ton of LIFE magazines to browse through... (a fun
way to waste some  time).

.... but did you know that you can also look at digitized copies  of dozens
of scientific journals?  .... and go back to Volume 1 of the  American
Journal of Science, The American Naturalist, Science, Quarterly Journal  of the
Geological Society of London, etc?..... That's way back.... to the early
1800s and beyond in some cases.... My oldest download to date is:

Camper, P. 1786. Conjectures relative to the petrifications found in  St.
Peters Mountain near Maastricht. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal
Society London. 76:443-456, pls.  15-16.
If  you are looking for an old article, just input the name of the
journal.... after  it pops up, usually at the top of the column, select "Full
view
only" at the  left side of the screen, then click on "More editions" under
the journal  title....

You should be able to go back to the volume / year that you  want using the
Google "next" feature at the bottom of the page.

Once  you've found the volume, you can either go to index, or the page
number of the  article..... In many cases, in the index the article titles in
blue are linked  to the article

Of course, you can read it online if you want, or download  the whole
volume as a pdf, but if you want to just save a copy of the paper, use  the
"Clip" function at the top right side of the screen...

Highlight the  page you want to copy, and a small box will be superimposed
on the page.... If  you copy the URL for the IMAGE, you should get something
that looks like  this:

http://bo
oks.google.com/books?id=f6IUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR1&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U1otoutqlMCKzFMhrejXLDnQhZLbQ&ci=92%2C105%2C774%2C1124&edge=0

...  you can paste it into your browser, click on it, and then see a .png
image file  of the page that you can save.....

The png files (some figures are .jpgs)  can be pasted into a program like
Adobe InDesign (or PageMaker) to create a  pdf...... The pdfs are usually
fairly small in size.

.... Sounds a bit  complicated at first, but the process is really easy
once you get into it...  I've created more than a hundred pdfs regarding the
paleontology work done in  Kansas and elsewhere during the 1800s....

Note that tracking down some  older articles can be something like solving
a puzzle.... Papers are often cited  by the date that they were presented
orally, not by the date that the journal  was actually published.

Regards

Mike Everhart
Adjunct  Curator of Paleontology
Sternberg Museum of Natural History