Re: Google books

On Wed, Jan 6th, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Dora Smith <villandra@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I'm afraid that, for once, I'm with Google on this one.   Information
> belongs to everyone and not only to those willing and able to pay big bucks
> for it.

You might be able to argue that about the raw data. Certainly most journals
seem to allow you to
download supplimental information for free, even if the article itself isn't
freely available.

However I'd argue that many authors probably wouldn't want their hard work to
be just given away.
Researching a book can be a long and thankless task, and refining the prose to
be as clear and concise
as possible - while also being engaging to the reader - is a skill that
certainly shouldn't be under-
valued. If Google were summarising or paraphrasing information then they could
legally distribute it as
they saw fit (that's basically the premise behind most internet sites). However
giving away copyrighted
works verbatim without explicit consent is, in my opinion, stealing.

There are plenty of publications out there that are out of copyright, and no
doubt many authors would
have no problem with allowing Google to reproduce and disseminate their older
works. Convincing
publishers to allow recent publications (or those still in active print) to be
disseminated for free would
probably be difficult though - and the lawyers they can afford are often little
more than pit-bulls in
suits. Of course, Google itself isn't exactly stapped for cash when it comes to
hiring aggressive lawyers.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs