Another example of a bad documentary

The so called History Channel ran a 2, that's two, hr documentary called
Apocalypse Island Sunday night. The focus was on "anthropologist/explorer"
apparently actually wacked out and/or looking for some money New Ager Jim
Turner who claims to have discovered a Mayan monument on islands far off South
America that will -- if only accepted by mainstream researchers -- will
finally solve the 2012 mystery and perhaps save humanity. The monument appears
be merely a rock pillar that has eroded to vaquely have a "human face"
similar to the former New Hampshire "Man of the Mountain." No archaeological
trace of Mayans being on the extremely remote and rugged island was presented,
and the absurdity of the piller being carved was hidden by showing the actual
rocks only in brief video snap shots, while spending a lot more time on the
digital "enhancement" of what it looked like when carved ~1000 yrs ago.

A "scientific expert" whose name I did not catch explained how the end will
come in 2012. You see, we now know that their is a black hole at the center
of the galaxy that periodically explodes. In 2012 there will be an amazing
alignment of planets that happens only every 6000 years or so. So, that's
when the next explosion of the black hole will sweep through the galaxy
spreading havoc. How it is that a mere alignment of planets in our wee little
solar system out near the galactic rim will influence a black hole whose
radiation effects would take tens of thousands of years to get out here (and in
fact we are too far away to be impacted, which is why we are well out in the
spiral arms and the Drake equation that assumes the entire galaxy is habitable
bogus) was not explained.

Here's the paleo connection. The AI program expert said that the 2nd to
last alignment occured 13,000 yrs ago, leading the great Pleistocene
extinction. That H. sapiens showed up around that time in the America's was not
mentioned.

Obviously History Channel is trying to squeeze money out of the 2012 craze.
And they do not care that they are misleading people about the legitimate
paleontology in the process.

GSPaul

</HTML>