Re: Horner's Pachy Lumpin' - Your Thoughts?

--- On Sun, 1/10/10, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> Perhaps more importantly, the horns of
> *Triceratops* (even when *Torosaurus* is not included)
> _change curvature_ during ontogeny, from backward-pointing
> to forward-pointing. The only way to change the curvature of
> a bone is to deposit bone on one side and _remove it_ from
> the other.

Is this true in the case where the horns are also rapidly enlarging? It would
seem in that case that merely increasing deposition on one side would change
curvature w/out any removal required.

Further -- I wonder if backwards curving horns in juveniles is mentioned in lit
as support (on a selective basis) for the 'extended close physical
adult/offspring contact' scenario. Perhaps hunkering underneath Mom for
protection from sun, weather, and predators (etc) was better tolerated by Mom
if your little horns did not stick STRAIGHT up... :D