AW: SV: avian nomenclature

> A query for the ornithologists on this list:
>
> What is the current most-favored compendium on the
> taxonomic
> nomenclature of extant bird species? Something comparable
> to the Sibley
> &Alquist tome, but more recent?
>
> Thanks

Like it has been said - Clements and Howell/Moore.

Unfortunately, none of them is really usable except on the species level. They
have all been one step behind science for 10 years now. These days, we're
beginning to see a clearer picture on what molecular data is reliable and what
isn't, but the latest editions are, of course, still incorporating unreliable
data.

Unfortunately, ToLweb has by now adopted Hackett's et al.'s results (the
massive 2008 paper in Science), even though the data that went into it is now
known to be flawed (for reasons unknown, beta-fibrinogen intron 7 does not
carry a clean phylogenetic signal - the "Metaves" disaster was based on it).

In short, we have to wait til someone who has read Mayr's Paleogene Fossil
Birds plus all the molphyl studies overhauls the ToLweb site, Wikipedia or
whatnot. Until then, it's basically build-your-own-checklist :(

Regards,

Eike