Re: avian nomenclature

Addendum: for passerine birds, http://jboyd.net/Taxo/List13.html is *very* nice
indeed.

And if you disassemble the "Metaves" and take some "Pelecanae" taxa with a
grain of salt (sure you can split Ciconiiformes+Pelecaniformes in five, but I
would at present rather split Phalacrocoraciformes and tropicbirds out and
merge the rest), this is generally very nice.

(As regards "Metaves" - tropicbirds quite robustly go between Charadriae and
"Pelecanae" - *perhaps* basal on the "seabird" branch of the latter though -,
while the "odd Gruiformes" probably go between Pelecanae and Passerae. Doves,
hoatzin, turacos, cuckoos and sandgrouse are somewhere - presumably rather near
the base, if there is any - of Passerae. Though the monophyly of the latter
is... equivocal... which may have something to do with their radiation perhaps
being the direct consequence of the last mass extinction.)

If I had to pick a *single* source on Neornithes taxonomy, this is (presently)
it. I mean - http://jboyd.net/Taxo/List32.html is this beautiful or what? And
to think that 10 years ago, all that was just a vast morass of guestimates and
half-truths!

Regards,

Eike