RE: Horner's Pachy Lumpin' - Your Thoughts?

There's also this related ref:

Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2009 Sep;292(9):1370-96.
The facial integument of centrosaurine ceratopsids: morphological and
histological correlates of novel skin structures.
Hieronymus TL, Witmer LM, Tanke DH, Currie PJ.
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ohio University College of Osteopathic
Medicine, Athens, Ohio, USA. h.tobin@gmail.com

The horned dinosaur Pachyhinosaurus possesses rugose bony bosses across the
skull roof in lieu of the projecting bony horn cores seen in most ceratopsians.
This elaboration of typical ceratopsian ornaments provides an opportunity to
test hypotheses of ceratopsian facial skin morphology and function. We analyze
bone morphology and histology associated with several classes of skin features
in extant amniotes using a classification tree analysis. We isolate key
osteological and histological correlates for unpreserved skin structures,
including both a pattern of pitting and resorption characteristic of muskox
(Ovibos) frontal horn boss, and a pattern of metaplastic ossification
characteristic of rhinoceros nasal horn boss. We also describe correlates for
other skin features, such as epidermal scales and horn sheaths. Dermatocranial
elements from centrosaurine ceratopsians are then examined for the same
osteological and histological correlates. From this comparison we propose that
the rugose bosses that replace horn cores in many centrosaurine dinosaurs, most
notably Achelousaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus, were covered by a thick pad of
cornified skin derived from the caudodorsal side of the primitive horn sheath
comparable to the horny boss of extant muskoxen (Ovibos). We examine extant
taxa with skin morphologies similar to Pachyrhinosaurus for consistent adaptive
relationships between structure and behavior. We determine that high-energy
headbutting is consistently associated with the acquisition of thick cornified
pads, seen in muskoxen as well as helmeted hornbills [Buceros (=Rhinoplax)
vigil] and African buffalo (Syncerus). The association of the bony ornaments of
Pachyrhinosaurus with risky agonistic behaviors casts doubt on the role of
species recognition as a primary selection pressure driving the diversity of
all ceratopsian horns. We conclude that social selection (a broad form of
intraspecific competition) is a more appropriate explanation for the diversity
of centrosaurine ceratopsian ornaments in th!
e Late Cr

Guy Leahy