Re: Unidirectional gator breathing in Science

--- On Thu, 1/14/10, Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com> wrote:

> > Yes. The implications may be quite interesting
> relative to sauropod lifestyle, too.
>
> Well, not really -- it's aready been pretty well
> established, by
> osteological correlates of the air-sac system, that
> sauropods had a
> respiratory system more closely resembling that of birds
> than any
> other extant animal.

Er, "not really" what? I don't feel I understand your point, at least not
relative to my post. That alligators have uni-directional flow (in the absence
of air sacs) seems very relevant to me.

I am assuming that you are NOT implying that Wedel has previously speculated
that sauropods had little trouble breathing even when the ribcage was submerged
in water, and may even have used the neck in a snorkel-like fashion, but could
be wrong. I am even assuming he might be irritated if someone did imply that,
given the highly speculative nature of the idea. But again, might be wrong.

I am aware of, and also sympathetic to his claims of air sacs. It is what got
me cartooning along these lines in the 1st place, having previously assumed
(along w/ most others apparently) that sauropods had an in/out style system...