RE: Unidirectional gator breathing in Science

One question this raises... is the crocodilian unidirectional lung basal for
archosaurs, or does it represent a "tuned down" remnant of an even more
avian-like respiratory system which may have existed in early crocodilians if
they were endotherms?  Crocodilians exhibit other features suggestive (four
chambered heart, separation of respiration from locomotion) of more
metabolically active ancestors.

Guy Leahy