Re: Unidirectional gator breathing in Science

2010/1/15 don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>:
> --- On Thu, 1/14/10, Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com> wrote:
>
>> > Yes. The implications may be quite interesting
>> relative to sauropod lifestyle, too.
>>
>> Well, not really -- it's aready been pretty well
>> established, by
>> osteological correlates of the air-sac system, that
>> sauropods had a
>> respiratory system more closely resembling that of birds
>> than any
>> other extant animal.
>
> Er, "not really" what? I don't feel I understand your point, at least not
> relative to my post. That alligators have uni-directional flow (in the
> absence of air sacs) seems very relevant to me.

Don, the point I was trying to make -- evidently not very clearly --
is that we already had very good reason to think sauropods had very
birdlike lungs, and that the new reinterpretation of alligator
breathing therefore doesn't give us any new information on sauropod
breathing.

> I am assuming that you are NOT implying that Wedel has previously speculated
> that sauropods had little trouble breathing even when the ribcage was
> submerged in water, and may even have used the neck in a snorkel-like fashion,

No!  Certainly not!  :-)