Re: was: Pterosaur.net now: pteroid

There is currently an information embargo on the specimen I am looking at so I can't name it, but it is well known and is not the one that Chris described. To answer your other question, since the pteroid mounts on the medial face (inboard face) of the preaxial carpal (about 3/4 of the way forward on the preaxial carpal from the "distal carpal"-"preaxial carpal" articulation in the specimen I'm looking at), the straight pteroid would point medially pretty much toward the antero-ventral tip of the delto-pectoral crest. It would not articulate in any way with the proximal syncarpal, though it would lie fairly close to it in some wing configurations.
JimC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Augusto Haro" <augustoharo@gmail.com>
To: <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: was: Pterosaur.net now: pteroid

2010/1/15 jrc <jrccea@bellsouth.net>:
I whole-heartedly disagree with that and don't consider it to be supported
by the evidence. Some species have a pronounced pteroid facet on the
inboard face of the preaxial carpal.
JimC

No way doubting your word, but I am very interested in knowing which, please.
Indeed, I think Bennet (2007) has provided the only proof of a defined
articular surface outside of the already occupied fovea. I do not
remember if Bennet said this, but being there recent evidence favoring
that the pteroid pointed medialwards, and that the pteroid in many
Jurassic taxa is straight, how would a straight pteroid articulating
with the proximal syncarpal direct medialwards?