Fw: was: Pterosaur.net now: pteroid

----- Original Message ----- From: "jrc" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
To: <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: was: Pterosaur.net now: pteroid

I believe it has been quantified, though I haven't myself. Speaking qualitatively as an engineer, the structural loads aren't enough to be a problem for the pteroid, and it will handle lateral stresses quite nicely -- it is 'designed' to do so. The longer, somewhat curved ones are quite reminicent of half of an English longbow in both shape and cross section. It would also handle tension stresses well, though it is unlikely to recieve significant pure tension -- it's longitudinal stresses are usually compression when not in bending. When in bending, it has tension forward of the neutral axis and compression aft of it.
JimC

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>