Patagium attachment Was: Re: Pterosaur.net

Lately I'm seeing claims made like this, and this quotation from the Pterosaur.net site has piqued my interest:

"The more basal, paraphyletic “ramphorhynchoids” had a broad uropatagium that linked across the two hind limbs. By contrast, the pterodactyloids had a uropatagium that was split, such that a roughly triangular membrane ran along each hind limb [figure 3a]. The uropatagium would have had several uses during flight."

This seems to imply that the uropatagium did not attach to the tail. I am wondering where the evidence for this comes from. It seems that the only specimen that could potentially be interpreted as having a free tail is the Sordes pilosus holotype, however, there is a peculiar fold down the centre of the patagium that could be interpreted as the region on which the tail originally attached, and due to decay it fell off. Also, I am interested in how the long bony struts in the final caudal vertebra of Pteranodon is interpreted if the tail is unattached. Additionally, what would be the aërodynamic implications of a free tail?