Re: Big boys and girls rule soft seds (was Dino Death Pits)

On Mon, Jan 18th, 2010 at 7:44 AM, don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Rather, they appear to have been highly localized
> areas of liquefaction caused by large-dinosaur (possibly
> sauropod) trampling of saturated sediments. Evidence
> indicates that the small theropods, and some other small
> vertebrates, became mired and died in these mud-filled
> pits."
>
> Thanks, Ben...

1 to 2 metre deep liquefied mud - 'deep' if you're a small (3m long, 1m tall)
vertebrate, but hardly
chest-lapping for an adult sauropod (barely knee-soiling for the real bigguns).
In fact, if the mud
was more liquid than sediment then a large sauropod might barely have noticed
it.

And why do I keep getting the dubious honour of having DML posts CCed to me? I
have no need to
read the same post twice, and many of them recently are to threads that I
haven't even posted in.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs