Re: Unidirectional gator breathing in Science

>> More to the point -- is
>> the usual implied assumption in these
>> discussions (that air sacs cannot be voluntarily
>> deflated enough to
>> affect buoyancy) a safe one?
>
> That would be to exhale,

 OK, I got that part...

> and thus equal to holding your breath while in deep water,

 Hate to be dense, pun intended, but huh?

If you exhale ( = deflate your airsacs so you can stay down) when you enter deep water, you can't inhale again when you are in. Either the water pressure won't let you, or you'll float up because your density shrinks -- avoiding this would have been the whole purpose of deflating the airsacs.

> which is exactly what you're not arguing.

 ...and double-huh? Sorry, but I don't follow...

You're arguing sauropods stood (some of the time) in fairly deep water (hip-height or something) and breathed. Right?