Re: Patagium attachment Was: Re: Pterosaur.net

It would probably help in understanding. Jim, if this model wing of yours is a
deep wing attached to the ankles or a shallow wing attached at mid thigh. I'm
guessing the former because you mentioned, "Increasing the inner wing tension
of the retracted wings during a dive by use of hindlimb positioning..."

If the latter, there would not be as much "inner wing" to consider (so, less
flutter). And no connection to the hind limb (so, fewer mental calculations for
the pterosaur). Two other advantages if one is looking for "reasons".

Moving the [tip of the] pteroid anteriorly means it no longer is pointing
directly at the deltopectoral crest? Certain preaxial carpals (as in
Nyctosaurus) would constrain such movement (see JVP 29(4) for an image). And
once again you're pulling at a "fabric" with a "knitting needle," inviting
disaster IMHO.

David Peters
davidpeters@att.net