Re: Sinosauropteryx tail colors

This is purely speculative, but if it was originally evolved for display, then
perhaps the display was that of a warning. Perhaps the animals used these
protofeathers as a way to appear larger to rivals, or to potential predators.

Of course this would require the subsequent presence of (proto)feather erector
muscles. Still, not entirely out of the question.

Alternatively, the protofeathers might have had a use analogous to the fur of
tarantulas, or the super wispy skin of some gecko species; in that they would
tear off easily, leaving predators with a mouth full of (possibly irritating)
fuzz.

Jason