Re: Did Feathers Evolve for Dispaly? We Still Don't Know!

Tim Williams wrote (okay, quoted):

> "Furthermore, we now know that the simplest feathers in dinosaurs such as
> _Sinosauropteryx_ were only present over limited parts of its body â?? for
> example, as a crest down the midline of the back and round the tail â??
> and so they would have had only a limited function in thermoregulation."

Actually, I am not at all convinced that these were present only over
limited parts of the body. The situation is such that we only get
preservation where sediment meets sediment, and thus only in halos around
the organism. Unfortunately we can't tell if these are the only fuzzy
parts, or simply the lucky fraction of the fuzzy parts that get preserved.

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc