Re: Sinosauropteryx tail colors

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Dr Ronald Orenstein
<ron.orenstein@rogers.com> wrote:

> Actually, Ring-tailed Lemurs do use their tails differently from other
> lemurs. They are much more terrestrial than other species, and when they walk
> about on the ground the tail is normaly held straight up in the air,  where
> it forms a highly conspicuous signal to other members of it's social group.

Male ring-tailed lemurs also use their tails for "stink fights." They
rub their scent glands (such as those on their wrists) on the tips of
their tails and then use their tails to waft the scent at their
opponent. (The scent is not unlike the odor of old highschool gym
mats.) Whichever lemur gives way first, loses. Likewise, males use
their tails in a similar way to try to attract females during mating
season. Not that I find this likely at all for _Sinosauropteryx_: it
just sprung to mind because of Ronald's comment.

All the best,

Brian
--
Written in Stone - Coming November 1, 2010
http://scienceblogs.com/laelaps/