Data Sharing in Paleontology

A number of the major journals in evolutionary biology just announced a data archival and availability policy; in short, the numerical data underlying a publication should be available for others to verify, use, and build upon.

See here for more information on what these journals are doing (the article is open access):

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/650340

I have crafted a brief blog post on this issue, that I hope is of interest to anyone concerned about the reputation and future of our field:

http://openpaleo.blogspot.com/2010/01/where-is-paleontology.html

The short version of the story is that releasing the numerical data underlying our research is a good thing, and a necessary thing. We paleontologists need to get our act together, before we get left in the dust (again). And, (most) everyone else is doing it!

Andy

(just to preemptively nip the objection in the bud, no, it would not mandate the release of precise locality data)