Re: Bistahieversor sealeyi, NM tyrannosaurid

On 29 January 2010 07:31, Nick Pharris <npharris@umich.edu> wrote:
>> (pronounced: bistah-he-ee-versor
>> see-lee-eye) is a brand new species of tyrannosaur
>> discovered in the Bisti/De-na-zin Wilderness of New
>> Mexico
>
> I'm sorry, but I tend to find it a bit presumptuous when an author tells me
> how to pronounce a Neo-Latin name.  You say [,dIp.l@'do.k@s], I say
> [dI'plad.@.k@s], and that's OK.  And that's completely leaving aside the
> pains I get from looking at English fauxnetics...

Sorry, but I have to respectfully but forcefully disagree.  Differing
pronunciation of names is one more source of confusion that we can do
without -- I well remember sitting in puzzlement through the first two
thirds of a talk on "Oi-uh-loff-us" before it occured to me that the
speaker was referring to the dinosaur that I say as "You-hell-oh-pus".

I agree that it makes sense to include IPA as well as fauxnetics (and
I will do that the next time I publish a name, so long as you'll
translate my fauxnetics into IPA for me :-) but anything is better
than nothing.