RE: Haplocheirus does not confirm alvarezsaurs are maniraptoran

The trick with fossorial animals is to expel earth _posterior_ or_lateral_ to
the animal, so that the refuse of the effort does not fill the hole to be
produced.  The classic theropod manus position has the palm face medial and
towards its opposite, while the arm's action is arguably stronger
mediolaterally than cranioposteriorly.  Typical mononykids manus orientation
seems to be medial-facing, with the action of the arm folding being
cranioposteriorly, so that the manus orientation was perpendicular to the arm's
action.  In a recent SVP (2007?) there was a result that rotated the arm and
scapulocoracoid of at least onem alvarezsaurid could be oriented so that the
manus faced caudally, but at this point the arm action/manus action are still
not aligned which begs comparison to other diggers.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

disinclination to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

Backs)

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/