Re: Bistahieversor sealeyi, NM tyrannosaurid

On 29 January 2010 19:29, T. Michael Keesey <keesey@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, but I have to respectfully but forcefully disagree.  Differing
>> pronunciation of names is one more source of confusion that we can do
>> without -- I well remember sitting in puzzlement through the first two
>> thirds of a talk on "Oi-uh-loff-us" before it occured to me that the
>> speaker was referring to the dinosaur that I say as "You-hell-oh-pus".
>
> Then you both say it "wrong". :)
> (Also, I all-but-guarantee that you actually say /juw'hEl@,p@s/, not
> /juw'hEl@U,p@s/ -- but I could be wrong.)

... which is more fuel for my assertion that authors should tell us
how they want us to pronounce the names they've coined.  If Wiman
(whose name, by the way, I almost certainly mispronounce, too :-) had
done that, I wouldn't have missed fifteen good minutes of sauropod
talk!

> The "correct" prounciation is, for a Greek work, pretty much as it's
> spelled: /euhelopus/ (not sure about accent and vowel length). In
> "English fauxnetics", I think that might go like "eh-w-hell-oh-poos"
> (with the "oh" more like a Minnesotan and less like an Englishman).
> I'm not about to start saying that -- are you?

No; but that's only because I have got used to my wrong pronunciation.
 If I'd learned it right in the first place, there wouldn't be an
issue.