Re: Bistahieversor sealeyi, NM tyrannosaurid

T. Michael Keesey <keesey@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm also not about to start pronouncing the "P" in "Pterosauria",

The "P" is silent, just like a child in a swimming pool.  (Sorry, old joke...)

Anyway, as for the _Bistahieversor_ paper itself, the authors mention "cf.
_Alectrosaurus_".  I'm guessing this includes the referred skull and
postcranial material described by Perle in 1977, from the Bayn Shireh Formation
of Mongolia.  The holotype of _Alectrosaurus_ is a partial hindlimb from the
Iren Dabasu Formation of China.  So the only overlapping material are hindlimb
elements - and I know the referral of the Bayn Shireh material to
_Alectrosaurus_ is somewhat precarious.  Further study might find the Bayn
Shireh tyrannosauroid to be a new taxon.

Also, Carr et al. (2010) might be the first published phylogenetic analysis to
recover _Iliosuchus_ as a tyrannosauroid.  _Iliosuchus_ is roughly coeval with
_Proceratosaurus_ (both Bathonian), regarded as the earliest known
tyrannosauroid.  I also notice _Bagaraatan_ comes up as a tyrannosauroid as
well.

Cheers

Tim