RE: Bistahieversor sealeyi, NM tyrannosaurid

  While the idea has merit that we attach preferred pronounciations or sound
files to papers for the sake of guides, Mikes Keesey and Taylor and Nick
Pharris have all made points on this topic that are relevant.

  Specifically, that different people pronounce things differently. More
specifically, Mike indicated that accent and background can lead to what is
potentially "correct" pronounciation of a word that differs from another's
"correct" pronounciation. Arguing that the form of the language as it was
spoken that originates the word you speak is fine and dandy for languages in
current use, but it is very difficult to determine what an older, or dead
language, actually sounded like without hearing a speaker who was not himself a
regional variant of the population.

  Because of this, one can easily argue that there is _NO_ correct
pronounciation.

  I'd like to note that the sound bit or even prefered spelling of the authors
may be incorrect due to flawed information, or the inability of one language to
gague the qualities of the language they are attempting to approximate,
especially in relation to languages that must be transcribed into romantic
letters (for us English anyways -- to say nothing of the orthographic
differences in spanish, italian, Hungarian, Polish, or the al-phabetic
variations in Russian, or the entirely different representational systems in
Japanese, Chinese, etc). In papers written in a foreign language, or soud files
pronounced with accents, how are we who do not speak this language supposed to
pronounce it?

  I would also like to share the feeling of disphoria Mike Taylor felt when I
first heard someone else pronounce "calcaneum" at SVP 1999. Not at all what I
expected. This is an issue of broadening one's understanding of the differences
in prnouncability, not canalizing them, and this will be true as long as there
is not one language, one pronounciation in a language, etc.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

disinclination to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

Backs)

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390706/direct/01/