Re: FW: Bistahieversor sealeyi, NM tyrannosaurid

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:08 AM, dale mcinnes <wdm1949@hotmail.com> wrote:

> WHOOOOOAA!!!
>
> Neat idea!! Perhaps, if I may suggest, another alternative??
> Someone set up a web page devoted exclusively to audio-phonetics.
> Let every author(s) contribute everytime a new name is proposed.
>
> Title the internet file PALAEO-PHONETICS. Even the general public
> could get something out of this. Anyone with time on their hands??

Something like this was already done back in the '90s:
http://dinosauria.com/dml/dmlf.htm
Click on the names for associated .AU files.

Of course, this is all coming from a prescriptivist standpoint, which,
as I and others have pointed out, is not tenable. A *descriptivist*
website would be pretty cool -- not so much "How you should say X" as
"How do you say X?". Would be especially interesting if people
submitting files had to indicate geographic data, who their mentor
was*, etc.

* I'm pretty sure this has something to do with why some English
speakers say "app-o-morphy" while others say "ape-o-morphy".
--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California