Re: Bistahieversor sealeyi, NM tyrannosaurid

> The Bistahie- part is not English
> [...]
> The -versor part is Latin, so do with it what you want.

 Actually, isn't the "Bistahi-" part Navajo and the "-eversor" part
 Latin?

 (Wait, did I just correct David MarjanoviÄ on something?)

Actually, I bet you're right. I haven't read the paper yet...

(Bistahi- at least is in any case Navajo.)

 Moreover, the preferred pronounciation is a deal more than four
 syllables (bah-hist-eh-ee-ver-sor certainly seems to equal six, at
 the least) so David may need to try school a little more :).

I said the Bistahie- part had four syllables, and I notice that you treat it with complete lysdexia. :-)

 It seems that comparing the complexity of a six-syllable word to
 being short to Germon, in which whole strings of words can be
 condensed into a mega-multi-syllabic "word."

The exact same thing happens all the time in English, except that the spelling tries to deny it by putting spaces between the components. Look at the infamous three words _Rinderkennzeichnungs- und RindfleischetikettierungsÃberwachungsaufgabenÃbertragungsgesetz_ ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinderkennzeichnungs-_und_Rindfleischetikettierungs%C3%BCberwachungsaufgaben%C3%BCbertragungsgesetz -- yes, that's the English Wikipedia). This monster, unusual even for German, translates straightforwardly, one component after the other, into English as "Cattle Marking and Beef Labeling Surveillance Duties Delegation Act" by insertion of six spaces and Gratuitous Uppercase (and removal of the four instances of connecting -s-); nothing has changed grammatically, it's still a branched compound noun.

In fact, in my experience, such long words accumulate more easily in written English than in German, because written English makes the writer believe that they're still legible. :-)