RE: Bistahieversor sealeyi, NM tyrannosaurid

David Marjanovic wrote:

<The exact same thing happens all the time in English, except that the spelling
tries to deny it by putting spaces between the components. Look at the infamous
three words _Rinderkennzeichnungs- und
Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinderkennzeichnungs-_und_Rindfleischetikettierungs%C3%BCberwachungsaufgaben%C3%BCbertragungsgesetz
 -- yes, that's the English Wikipedia). This monster, unusual even for German,
translates straightforwardly, one component after the other, into English as
"Cattle Marking and Beef Labeling Surveillance Duties Delegation Act" by
insertion of six spaces and Gratuitous Uppercase (and removal of the four
instances of connecting -s-); nothing has changed grammatically, it's still a
branched compound noun.

In fact, in my experience, such long words accumulate more easily in written
English than in German, because written English makes the writer believe that
they're still legible. :-)>

  Wait, are you you trying to argue that the word you found up there in
Wikipedia is an English word in any form, even exempting the idea of a
German-to-English loan word, but that it's an honest-to-God English word?
Because I'd be suspecting you're smoking hashish just because you found a
perfect example of what _I_ was talking about in regards to German in an
English wikipedia (note, not an English dictionary!). Moreover, the article
clearly indicates that, despite being written in English (as if English
speakers can only write about things where only their lanmguage is spoken), it
is an article about a German law in a German state in the German nation. What
point, again, were you trying to make?

  Unlike German, English tends to transcribe its compounds in rather specific
ways, when not following loan-words from other languages and therefore their
rules for compounds (i.e., French or Italian); these compounds almost always
take the form of a hyphen ( - ) or an apostraphe ( ' ) and generally only occur
in words in which two nouns are combined for hyphens or articles bound to
verbs, for apostrophes.

  Oh, and good stab on the lysdexia bit.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the
experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparentdisinclination to
do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different
language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to
kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or

Backs)

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390710/direct/01/