Re: Haplocheirus does not confirm alvarezsaurs are maniraptoran

> Ant-eaters don't need reach. (They can just walk closer.)
> They only need power.

I'm coming round to thinking that you're probably right here.  The giant
ant-eater uses its fore-claws to make a small breach in the ant or termite
nest, then feeds on the insects that stream out.  However, the ant-eater
doesn't feed at any nest for too long: the ant-eater soon backs off to avoid
the soldier caste.  The ant-eater rarely destroys a nest, but survives by
ingesting a relatively small number of insects from a large number of nests.

So alvarezsaurs could have fed the same way.  Breach the nest (or
insect-infested wood), slurp up some emerging insects, then run away before the
angry colony launch a full-scale attack.  Or maybe it breached trees to access
the sugar-rich sap - a much better food source than ants or termites.  And sap
doesn't bite.

> The trick is that all extant ones are (to varying degrees,
> but still) quadrupedal. To be useful in locomotion,
> forelimbs need a minimum length. Compromises result that the
> bipedal alvarezsaurids simply didn't need.

Nevertheless, a short reach would limit the alvarezsaur to breaching nests or
trees that were shoulder height (or lower), rather than head height.  I still
think you're right though.

Cheers

Tim