Re: Bistahieversor sealeyi, NM tyrannosaurid

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31st, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Â I would also like to share the feeling of disphoria Mike Taylor
>> felt when I first heard someone else pronounce "calcaneum" at SVP
>> 1999. Not at all what I expected.
>
> Is there a concensus on how it's pronounced? I'm torn between 'Kal-Kaneum'
> and 'Kalsa-Neum' (as
> in 'calcium'). Excuse the pseudophonetics.

"Kalkaneum" is more consistent with English patterns. "C" is realized
as "s" before front vowels ("i", "e"), but as "k" before central or
back vowels ("a", "o", "u"). Notice how "calcium" ("kalsium") confirms
this pattern. (And note that sometimes the "c" + front vowel
combination gets slurred into a "sh": "ocean", "atrocious".)

This is why some pronounce "diplodocid" as "diplodosid", despite
pronouncing "Diplodocus" as "Diplodokus". It can get hard to keep
straight, though, and I have heard "diplodosoid" for "diplodocoid",
which kind of sets my teeth on edge, in spite of my descriptivist
leanings.
--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California