RE: Bistahieversor sealeyi, NM tyrannosaurid

Quoting Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>:

On Sun, Jan 31st, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> wrote:

  I would also like to share the feeling of disphoria Mike Taylor
felt when I first heard someone else pronounce "calcaneum" at SVP
1999. Not at all what I expected.

Is there a concensus on how it's pronounced? I'm torn between 'Kal-Kaneum' and 'Kalsa-Neum' (as in 'calcium'). Excuse the pseudophonetics.

Do you ever pronounce <c> as [s] when it appears in the sequence <ca>? I'm pretty sure I don't...

I've never been sure exactly which syllable to emphasise in 'astragalus' either. Is it 'Astra-Galus'
or 'Astrag-Alus'?

The stressed syllable would be the third-to-last (as-TRA-ga-lus) in both Latin and Greek.

Nicholas J. Pharris