Re: [Spam:5.7 SpamScore] Re: Leviathan melvillei -- preoccupied?

> Hang on.  If the preoccupation is a junior synonym, then isn't that usage
> rendered irrelevant and, therefore, the name would be available for valid
> use?  McKenna & Bell, 1997 has it as a junior synonym.
Sadly, that wouldn't be an option. Junior synonyms retain their status
just in case the specimen in question actually does wind up being
reinterpreted as a different genus. If that were not so, I could
legitimately name a new sauropod "Brontosaurus".