Re: Ostrich Wings Explain Mystery of Flightless Dinosaurs

The finding is neat, and I'm all for comparison with extant animals, but I
wonder how pertinent it would actually be to dinosaurs. The paper seems to talk
about ostriches using their wings for balance during agile maneuvers, but this
is for a tailless animal. The theropods that gave rise to birds, all had nice
long tails to do much of the counterbalance work. I'm just wondering if the
results Schaller found might more accurately reflect an exaptation by ratites
to a secondarily flightless existence, rather than a plesiomorphic behaviour.

Perhaps Scott covered this in his paper. I haven't had a chance to read it, as
JVP is being finicky about their archives (i.e. supplement to No.3 for vol. 20
doesn't show up on the site).

Jason