Which eggs may be turned and why

Dear all,

watching a nature program with my daughter, she came up with a smart
question I was unable to answer:

A zoo keeper was collecting some reptile (apologies...) eggs (I forgot
which species) and told that it was important not to turn them and to
take note which side was up.
However, we also saw a nandu rolling his eggs back into his nest who
seemed not to care in the least how he rolled the eggs around.

So the question is: What determines whether eggs can be turned or not?
Does it depend on the clade? The state of the egg? something else?

Thanks for any help,

Martin.

                   Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin Bäker
                   Institut für Werkstoffe