Re: Which eggs may be turned and why

Thanks to all who have answered my question on egg turning.  Since
some people only mailed to me privately, here is a brief summary of
what I learned:

In a bird, the yolk is not attached directly to the eggshell but is
connected to it by a chord called chalaza. This allows the yolk to
rotate - if I understand things correctly, the embryo thus always
stays "right side up".

In many reptile (squamate) eggs the yolk is attahced to the shell. On turning,
it
may detach, kiling the embryo.

So thanks again, this list is just great to learn something new every day.

                   Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin Bäker
                   Institut für Werkstoffe
                   Technische Universität Braunschweig
                   Langer Kamp 8