From: Tim Williams <tijawi@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: tijawi@yahoo.com
Sent: Thu, July 1, 2010 10:22:43 PM
Subject: The 'gypsy' dinosaur (was Re: new titanosaur: Atsinganosaurus
velauciensis)

The message was truncated when it arrived in my mailbox, but here are the
details...

Garcia, G., Amico, S., Fournier, F., Thouand, E., and Valentin, X. (2010) A new
titanosaur genus (Dinosauria, Sauropoda) from the Late Cretaceous of southern
France and its paleobiogeographic implications.  Bull. Soc. géol. Fr. 181:
269-277.

Abstract. "A new titanosaur, _Atsinganosaurus velauciensis_, gen. and sp. nov.
is described from well-preserved remains from the new Upper Cretaceous locality
of Velaux-La Bastide Neuve (Aix-en-Provence Basin, France).  This taxon is
mainly diagnosed by a combination of characters, which differentiates it
without
ambiguity from other European Late Cretaceous taxa (_Lirainosaurus_,
_Ampelosaurus_ and _Magyarosaurus_).  _Atsinganosaurus_ confirms the presence
in
western Europe during the latest Cretaceous of a third titanosaurian species,
slender and less derived which allows us to better understand the evolutionary
and paleobiogeographical history of this group during the Cretaceous."

The genus name derives from the Byzantine Greek word for "gypsy", 'atsinganos'
(which still survives in many languages in one form or another, e.g.
"tsigani").  When the Byzantines came up with the word, it may not have been at
all complimentary - the word 'atsinganos' is supposed to mean 'untouchable' or
'heathen'.  The gypsies (Roma) were regarded as foreign heretics by the
medieval
Byzantines.  Then again, the Byzantines were a tendentious and narrow-minded
bunch, always banging on about heretics and heathens.  Anyway...

The specific name is in honor of the French city of Velaux (Latin Velaucio)
from
where the material was collect
Cretaceous, it was part of a
large Iberian-Armorican island (up to three times the size of modern
Madagascar).

In any case, the name _Atsinganosaurus_ ("gypsy reptile") is "in reference to
the existence of Late Cretaceous migrations between western and eastern Europe
revealed by these remains."  Although there is no phylogenetic analysis, the
authors su
osaurus_ might be closely related to _Malawisaurus_; the two are quite similar
in many respects.  If so, _Atsinganosaurus_ documents the survival of basal
lithostrotians late into the Cretaceous (late Campanian), which the authors
suggest might have something to do with its island habitat.

Cheers

Tim