RE: Assistance with anatomical descriptions of dimensions!

Dealing with this myself when attempting to translate some Russian texts
(before finding them already translated by others, using the Polyglot
Paleontologist; here: http://www.paleoglot.org/index.cfm) I found a difficult
time to determine the dimensions without already using a ruler and the figures
and doing it myself.

In the cases you make, the author has used some conventions: In teeth, "wide"
and "breadth" were often simply the perpendicular to the length in the same
view. Because of this, three measures would be "length, width, and thickness,"
but we would call this "apicobasal length, mesiodistal length, and linguolabial
length." The first might also be termed height, and the third "width," using
the long axis of the associated jaw as the a "length" baseline determinate.

Authors often find a "base orientation" from which to measure their specimens,
and seldom report what this measurement is. When one finds such a case,
consider matching the given measurment while rotating the aspect of the element
until it matches. I am simply unfamiliar with the method regarding bony plates,
so this is the best I can offer.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/

Backs)

> Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 16:08:28 +0100
> From: jenyalipatov@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Assistance with anatomical descriptions of dimensions!
>
> Hi everyone,
> I'm assisting a Russian researcher in translating a paper into
> English, but I'm an undergraduate student and have limited knowledge
> of anatomical terms. In Russian the conventions of describing the
> location of things seem to be quite different!
> Could those of you with a knowledge of anatomy please tell me what the
> terminology used to describe the basic dimensions of vertebrae,
> transverse processes, ribs, teeth, and ankylosaurian bony plates is?
> Is it sufficient to say that a vertebra is x cm long and y cm thick;
> or that a tooth crown is z mm high, x mm wide and y mm thick?
> With regard to bony plates, is it OK to say that one is z cm thick, y
> cm long mediolaterally and x cm long anteroposteriorly?
> Thank you very much in advance!
>
> -Jenya Lipatov

Hotmail.