Re: before Crichton

Only one other science-fiction story, a novelette called "Metal" is credited to
Robert R. Olsen, in Robert Silverberg's anthology New Dimensions 8, published
in 1978. I just happen to have a copy around. It describes Olsen as "a
thirty-year old Chicaogan currently living in Arizona. Robert Olsen has two
degrees in geology... He notes that his hobbies are 'science fiction,
rockhounding and metallic varieties of rock music."

At 2:27 PM -0600 7/5/10, Richard W. Travsky wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, James Farlow wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have the citation for a rather clever little SF story that
>> anticipated Crichton's _Jurassic Park_ in having a dinosaur reconstructed
>> from DNA? The story was called "Paleontology: an Experimental Science", or
>> something like that. It was written as a series of GSA abstracts, and part
>> of the fun was that each successive abstract had one fewer author, due to
>> "lab accidents" with the resurrected dinosaur.
>
>http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/pseudosc/atmoviedna.htm
>There's a truly delightful story in the August, 1974 issue of Analog science
>fiction magazine called Paleontology: An Experimental Science by Robert R.
>Olsen. The author seems to be using a pseudonym but is clearly intimately
>familiar with geology. The story contains so many elements that occur in the
>two Jurassic Park films that I really wonder if there's a connection. The
>story even ends with the reconstructed T-Rex getting loose in San Diego!

Jeff Hecht,    science and technology writer
Boston Correspondent, New Scientist magazine
Contributing Editor        Laser Focus World
525 Auburn St.,   Auburndale, MA 02466   USA
V 617-965-3834    e-mail jeff@jeffhecht.com
Web  http://www.jeffhecht.com