Re: Leaellynasaura, Tails, and Integument

Pretty neat idea... except that the distal half of the tail was
stiffened by the anterior and dorsoventral elongation of
postzygapophyses - up to 44% of the vertebral length !! - according to
Herne (2009).

What seems incompatible with a curling behaviour such as seen in the
pangolin. Also, the pangolin uses its tail to protect its head and
belly because its body is covered dorsally by a number of alternating
flattened scales.Here, the presence of soft, keratinized scales does
not stiffened the body of the animal contrary to osteoderms which
tends to do so and are often associated to coossification of (e.g.:
armadillos, crocodiles, or turtles for extant taxa; aetosaurs and
other crurotarsians, placodonts, chronosuchians, or dissorophoid
temnospondyls for fossils).

Jocelyn Falconnet

--
Jocelyn Falconnet