Re: Leaellynasaura, Tails, and Integument

quote from a manuscript of mine:

>>Norell & Makovicky (1999: fig. 21) figure an S-curved,
>>articulated tail of Velociraptor mongoliensis in dorsal view.
>>Tracing the path of the tail axis of the Velociraptor specimen
>>in Rhinoceros 4.0® allows measuring the angle across the
>>first bend as 98° for the first ten caudals, which translates
>>to nearly 10° per intervertebral joint.

That specimen shows extremely elongated zygs. So much for lateral
stiffening...... OK, compared to crocodiles and especially monitors,
this IS limited mobility.

Norell, M.A. & Makovicky, P.J. 1999: Important features of the
dromaeosaurid skeleton II: information from newly collected specimens
of Velociraptor mongoliensis. American Museum Novitates 3282, 1–45.

:)
Heinrich