RE: Leaellynasaura, Tails, and Integument

  Of the various complete dromaeosaur tails known to date, curvature in them is
shallower than is know in less "confined" tails, such as those of
similarly-preserved ornithomimosaurs. Alternately, curvature appears to be
unknown in hadrosauroid tails where a lattive is present, and the tail of
*Homalocephale* shows no curvature with a dense sheath of ossified "tendons"
surrounded the vertebrae and haemal arches.

  Some people have suggested that the caudal rods in dromaeosaur tails did not
inhibit that much curvature; that it (in extension) would be possible to bend a
tail much like a standard "unenclosed" tail. No one, that I know of at least,
has done a curvature analysis on the tail by excluding the rods, or even to
assert if this would tell us anything. If the bone's inflexibility does not
inhibit standard curvature, how do we test this? Do we artificially remove the
rods from dromaeosaur tails (digitally, perhaps?) and test their flexibility
through manipulation? Is the shape of the prezygapophyses substantially
different if you lose the rods? Testing the flexibility of the rods alone as
bone or half-tendon/half-bone, or some composition inbetween, might help
determine restrictions on tail flexibility.

  But then there's the other issue: unlike mammals and birds with ossified
tendon sheets, ossified tendon lattices in iguanodontian ornithischians form an
actual lattice crossing as much as 8-10 vertebrae in the dorsal, sacral, and
caudal regions. If the ossified features in dromaeosaur tails are seemingly
uninhibiting or not as inhibiting as thought (for reasons that haven't been
quantified in print), the tendon lattice in iguanodontians is less secure:
presumably, these tendons were bound to their corresponding vertebrae, but are
they bound to each vertebrae between the two ends, and are they bound to the
tendons that they cross passing at the other angle?

  To both of these groups, I would ask: If such a system is not very
inflexible, what is the functional use of a system of ossified tendons (noting
that tendons ossify in mammals when put under high strain, to reduce said
strain) when locking the vertebrae may be more plausible (as in
hyposphene/hypantrum articulations) and conservative of a system? What use then
also is a system where the tail of a dromaeosaur is so inflexible, or the tail
of a hadrosaur so stiff?

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)