RE: Leaellynasaura, Tails, and Integument

  Organ does note however that the tendons have a relationship to motility in
any fashion, be it where vertebral inflexibility is enforced in the vertebrae
themselves whether it is dorsoventral or colaterally, or when vertebrae appear
to be fairly mobile, the lattice structure is either highly reduced and closer
to the central bodies, or where the neural spines are high and the lattice is
expanded. That the lattice is practically absent in some groups of
ornithischians or bird-line saurischians, but present in others, implies not
only a structural relationship to mobility (even if there was some ability to
move) but also evolutionary relationship, which is just as prone to stance and
gait and therefore flexibility.

  The caudal rods in dromaeosaurs are different, however: they are bound into a
tight cluster several rods deep and several rods wide; while they could
presumably slide past one another, it seems unlikely such a bundle of bone
would have permitted too much motion.

  Note that I am not rejecting any motion, but trying to make sure that
taphonomic process is also being taken into account. At least one dromaeosaur
tail (GI 100/986) shows a sigmoid aspect in dorsal view; at at least one point
along the curve, the individual rods are bending away from one another,
implying a limit to their capability to bend, although permitted more
posterior/anterior rods to accommodate the curvature of the tail. This at least
indicates curvature outside of taphonomic distortion; despite this, the
curvature is weak, and in the Oklahoma *Deinonychus* tails, the rods are often
splayed out from the curvature of the tail series itself.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/