RE: Reign of the Dinosaurs first look!

Adding to this, I would make the suggestions:

1) Have carnivores keep their mouths shut most of the time, unless biting,
feeding, or being agonistic

2) No carnivores roar, scream, hiss, etc. while sneaking up on or attacking prey

>>> "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@umd.edu> 7/14/2010 4:19 PM >>>
> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of dinoboygraphics@aol.com
>
> There will be lots of episodes/animals, so I expect there
> will be plenty of variation in colors.  Things are obviously
> early in production, but from what I've seen the anatomy and
> motion of the dinosaurs will far exceed that of WWD.
>
> As for "over the top" behavior, the show is telling good
> stories; that's not to say that the actions/behaviors are
> going to violate the anatomy or be implausible, but from what
> I've seen those behaviors will go together to make more
> coherent and entertaining vignettes in the lives of the
> animals portrayed - really, WWD did this too, i.e. the
> "drama" of whether or not Coeolophysis would catch and eat
> the baby synapsids, only to be disappointed when the latter
> escape during the night - this production just seems to be
> embracing the story telling part more while being more
> rigorous with the anatomy and other physical aspects that
> these shows often gloss over.
>
> There must be an unimaginable amount of work to be done by
> their team between now and when the episodes air, but if the
> end results keep on track with what they've done so far it
> should be a lot of fun for dino-lovers of all stripes.

Something to keep in mind, too: these press-related materials are geared for
the most part at the entertainment media. A glance at nature footage (or
your average Tetrapod Zoology post) shows that a lot of animal behaviors
would be "over the top".

If *I* were writing ad copy to a dinosaur-knowledgeble audience, I might
(hypothetically, mind you... :-) say that it will include tetrapod taxa
(dinosaurs, lissamphibians, mammaliforms, pterosaurs) and faunas that have
hitherto never been animated. (As well as some old favorites).

To a dino-pop cultural knowledgeable audience, I might suggest to think more
along the lines of an animated version of Delgado's "Age of Reptiles" comics
than of WWD (which was explicitly concieved of as "David Attenborough goes
to the Mesozoic").

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216