FW: Reign of the Dinosaurs first look!

I'll go one better Jim.

Have single or pack-sized satiated carnivores lolling around prostate on the
ground in
full view of herds of veggie critters grazing/browzing all around them .......
even a
few laying down only meters from them. That should throw a lot of viewers
(though to be
honest, not many animals want to lay down within meters of large and
exceedingly powerful
crocodilians). And another thing. Do we really expect carnosaurs of any ilk to
completely
abandon their meal because they happen to be satiated??? And return later to
consume the
rest??? Hmmmm .... maybe this does happen. What I have always said would be far
more exciting
than any group of predators making a kill, would be a group of sub-adult apex
predators guarding
a kill, only to be swept off it by a large group of smaller secondary killers,
who in turn
would be swept off the kill by the return of fully grown primary apex killers.
Every imaginable
predator in that particular ecosystem would make their appearance, confronting
one another,
from tyrannosaurs on down to different tertiary predators followed at last by
"clean-up crews".

Premature criticism aside, I and many others, I'm sure, look forward to this
next dino adventure. Good luck boys and girls.                  dale

> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:24:07 -0400
> From: farlow@ipfw.edu
> To: dinoboygraphics@aol.com; wdm1949@hotmail.com; tholtz@umd.edu;
> dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: RE: Reign of the Dinosaurs first look!
>
> Adding to this, I would make the suggestions:
>
> 1) Have carnivores keep their mouths shut most of the time, unless biting,
> feeding, or being agonistic
>
> 2) No carnivores roar, scream, hiss, etc. while sneaking up on or attacking
> prey

>> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
>> On Behalf Of dinoboygraphics@aol.com
>>
>> There will be lots of episodes/animals, so I expect there
>> will be plenty of variation in colors. Things are obviously
>> early in production, but from what I've seen the anatomy and
>> motion of the dinosaurs will far exceed that of WWD.
>>
>> As for "over the top" behavior, the show is telling good
>> stories; that's not to say that the actions/behaviors are
>> going to violate the anatomy or be implausible, but from what
>> I've seen those behaviors will go together to make more
>> coherent and entertaining vignettes in the lives of the
>> animals portrayed - really, WWD did this too, i.e. the
>> "drama" of whether or not Coeolophysis would catch and eat
>> the baby synapsids, only to be disappointed when the latter
>> escape during the night - this production just seems to be
>> embracing the story telling part more while being more
>> rigorous with the anatomy and other physical aspects that
>> these shows often gloss over.
>>
>> There must be an unimaginable amount of work to be done by
>> their team between now and when the episodes air, but if the
>> end results keep on track with what they've done so far it
>> should be a lot of fun for dino-lovers of all stripes.
>
> Something to keep in mind, too: these press-related materials are geared for
> the most part at the entertainment media. A glance at nature footage (or
> your average Tetrapod Zoology post) shows that a lot of animal behaviors
> would be "over the top".
>
> If *I* were writing ad copy to a dinosaur-knowledgeble audience, I might
> (hypothetically, mind you... :-) say that it will include tetrapod taxa
> (dinosaurs, lissamphibians, mammaliforms, pterosaurs) and faunas that have
> hitherto never been animated. (As well as some old favorites).
>
> To a dino-pop cultural knowledgeable audience, I might suggest to think more
> along the lines of an animated version of Delgado's "Age of Reptiles" comics
> than of WWD (which was explicitly concieved of as "David Attenborough goes
> to the Mesozoic").
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> Email: tholtz@umd.edu Phone: 301-405-4084
> Office: Centreville 1216
> http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
> Fax: 301-314-9661

> http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
> Fax: 301-314-9843
>
> Mailing Address: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> Department of Geology
> Building 237, Room 1117
> [...]
Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9734385