Re: How to cite information in Wikipedia? (for a High School study guide)

Hello Augusto,

Citing Wikipedia is actually a very simple process.  For example,
let's say you wanted to cite an article on Othnielia.  On the
left-hand side you see a wide variety of different actions. Click on
"Toolbox", which will expand and give you more options.  Click on
"Cite this page".  This is what you will see.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Cite&page=Othnielia&id=368495047.

Now, Wikipedia has a myriad of policies, and these include No original
Research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_original_research),
and Verification
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verification), among others.
Wikipedia is a great starting point, but like any encyclopedia,
shouldn't necessarily be cited.  You can see the references on the
wikipedia article for further information on your subject.

I do hope that this answers your question as to how cite a Wikipedia
article.  While we're talking about wikis, I might as well put in a
shameless plug to a paleontology-oriented wiki website, the Fossil
Wiki (http://www.fossilwiki.org).  It's a fledgling with only a few
starting articles from Wikipedia, but I'm putting it out there.

--
Daniel J. Najib
Student

Rauisuchian Rest Stop:  http://rauisuchia.wordpress.com/
Fossil Wiki:  http://www.fossilwiki.org

    "I want to find a voracious, small-minded predator and name it
after the IRS."

        —Robert T. Bakker