Re: Nomina Dubia Part II: Rapator

 I admit the system is subjective.  This is a gray area: nomina dubia
 are in the eye of the beholder.  But I think this is OK.  On that
 point, David M. made this statement:

> As soon as you can't answer the question "if I were wrong, how would
> I know?" any longer, you're not doing science.

 I think this is too harsh when applied to paleontology and biology,
 because frequently we deal in probabilities, rather than absolute
 certainties.  That's why statistics are so important.  For example,
 one phylogeny does not *disprove* another phylogeny; one phylogeny is
 only deemed more probable based on a set of pre-determined
 assumptions (such as parsimony).

This is the same in all of science. For instance, the big advance of quantum physics over classical physics is the use of statistics and probabilities.

I think you're selling parsimony short. Falsification and parsimony are the two parts of the scientific method, as far as I can see.

So, let's simply assume I included "unparsimonious" in "wrong"... :-)