RE: Raised sauropod necks

Not to disagree with accredited PhDs here, but while this paper makes an
argument that seems new, due to the press it has received, the neck-posture
element of the paper is old data, even though the taxon selected (*Euhelopus
zdanskyi*) is new. In a sense, it's taxon sampling is being careful, and is
providing different data from one analysis to the other, and they are doing so
in the best way possible: Biomechanically.

The original paper is:

Christian, A. & Dzemski, G. 2007. Reconstruction of the cervical skeleton
posture of *Brachiosaurus brancai* Janensch, 1914 by an analysis of the
intervertebral stress along the neck and a comparison with the results of
different approaches. _Fossil Record_ 10:37–48.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/114103054/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

The two papers analyzed the cervical series of the two sauropods in the same
way, and some to different general postures of highest stress in the
intervertebral sections. They also do not outright dismiss Kent Stevens' work,
which argued for a "neutral" posture with intervertebral neutrality. The best
part of this work? Its finding different postures for different taxa. Taylor et
al. are supported by work on both, but their posture is not the same as either
Christian and Dzemski (2007) or Christian (2010), which sampled individual taxa
by direct biomechanical means.

Expect more from the group.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden