RE: Methane production

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Phillip Bigelow
>
> Good points.
> Furthermore, why didn't the near extermination of the North
> American Bison also produce a mini-cooling event?  There were
> tens of millions of bison roaming the Great Plains, and
> within 50 years their numbers were reduced to a few hundred
> animals in Yellowstone Park.
>
> The number of cattle that "replaced" them was only a
> miniscule percentage of the original number of bison.
>
> Ironically, according to climatologists, the Earth was coming
> *out* of the Mini-Ice Age around the time that we were
> beginning to "cleanse" the bison from the prairies.

Not that I buy the megafaunal methane hypothesis (at least as currently
formulated), one observes that the decline of methane production by Bison
bison would have occurred during a time that the greenhouse gas production
of a certain primate's technologies were beginning to greatly increase, and
this could have offset it.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216